Monday, March 25, 2013

Beans 5 Ways Part 5: Ramjah

This week I tried my hand at Indian cooking...I made Ramjah from this recipe at smitten kitchen. Ramjah is a lot like our American chili with beans, except that ginger is the most prominent spice instead of the chili pepper.  It makes for a completely different flavor profile, and all the adults at my table loved it.  The kids, well, not so much. 
Curry Spices
Ingredients:  cooked kidney beans, onion, ginger, garlic, tomato and tomato sauce, olive oil, salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne...I left out fresh cilantro and a green chili.  Notice, 'curry' isn't listed an ingredient in this curry...I learned that 'curry powder', just like 'chili powder' is not a single spice but a blend of spices- a delicious blend of spices.

Here are the steps:

Step 1: gather ingredients, measure and chop, warm the oil.
Onions, Ginger, Garlic
Step 2: sauté onions, garlic and ginger, one minute.
Step 3: add tomato sauce and spices, cook five minutes
Beautiful!

Step 4: add kidney beans and about 1 cup of water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cook ten minutes.
Step 5: remove from heat, serve over rice or bread, with a garnish of chopped cilantro. (I forgot the cilantro)

Served Over Jasmine Rice
 Great as a main dish or a side.  I highly recommend you try this recipe!  Red Kidney Bean Curry @ smitten kitchen.

eHow Prepare Dried Kidney Beans
Beans 5 Ways:
Hoppin John
Garlic Sausage Lentils
Hummus
Adzuki Bean Paste












No comments:

Post a Comment