Sunday, March 3, 2013

Beans 5 Ways: Part 1

I've got a plethora of dried beans (and peas).  I've bought them for emergency food, camping, and just because they're cheap food with an excellent nutritional profile.  The only problem is I just don't use them.  They sit in my pantry getting older, and taking up space....So, in the next few weeks I am going to try some new recipes, and hopefully add a few to my repertoire.

  I'm probably most excited to try hummus.  I Love hummus.  My favorite hummus comes from Cafe Soriah in Eugene, but alas I do not think they're going to share thier recipe.  I'm going to have to take my chances with a promising recipe I found online here.  For those of you that don't know, hummus is basically a puree of chickpeas and mashed sesame seeds(tahini), with lemon juice, cumin, and garlic.   It's a great savory spread or dip.  (go to: Hummus)
  Kidney beans are great, on salad, in chili, or just with salt...but I don't usually take it any further, and I usually use canned beans.  So I'm going to try my hand at this Ramjah (kidney bean curry)...I don't often eat or cook Indian food, but it sounds soo good.
  I've got some Bob's Red Mill soup and rice mixes that include lentils, and they are pretty darn good, and make a great easy meal.   Rachel Ray has a simple looking recipe for Sausage with Garlic Lentils that I'm going to try.  Her foods always look amazing, if a little fatty for everyday meals.  I think I'll use the al fresco pre-cooked chicken sausage that I can get at WinCo. (go to: Garlic Sausage Lentils)
 
  I've had black eyed peas once, that I can remember, but for some reason I keep a bag in my pantry.  The traditional dish looks simple enough, a lot like your basic pork and beans, except the beans are black and white.  I found some beautiful pictures of Hoppin' John and then I found a step by step illustrated recipe.  It takes the traditional black eyed peas and then dresses them up with extra veggies, spices, and rice.  It looks yummy!  (go to: Hoppin John!)
  This is probably going to be the strangest one for me.  I've had things stuffed with bean paste before, from the Asian food store, they all seemed over-processed and just weird.  I'm hoping that by making it myself I can get that idea out of my head, and maybe my family will actually enjoy it.  The recipe I've found is well written and seems simple...

  So, there it is, If you want to play along just click on the links above ^
In Part 2, I planned to go into detail about my first recipe.....Hummus....I've got everything but the tahini, fresh lemons and parsley.  Unfortunately they don't sell tahini at my regular store...So check out Part 2: Hoppin John!
Part 3: Garlic Sausage Lentils
Part 4: Hummus
Part 5: Ramjah
Part 6: Adzuki Bean Paste



No comments:

Post a Comment